Monday, March 20, 2006

St. Patrick's Day Massacre



After returning from five days in sunny San Juan I was greeted by both the harsh cold of winter in New York AND a seriously devastating population fact:

the population of Ireland is 4,015,676.

I realize that not everyone is as into population facts as me, but let me try and put this in perspective.

-The population of the USA (!) is 295,734,134

-The population of New York City is 8,168,338

-The population of the UK is 60,441,457

-The population of London is 7.5 million

-The population of Italy is 58,103,033

-The population of Finland is 5,223,442

-The population of Luxembourg is 468,571

This seriously blows my mind. I've tried to convey this mind-blowingness to other people, but NO ONE'S FEELING MY VIBE. Can you believe that Ireland is closer in size to Luxembourg (both in real terms and proportionally) than to the UK?



I have a bad tendency to equate population size with coolness and I have a serious soft spot for Ireland and its peoplez so this is NOT adding up for me. When the Wes Man and I realized that Columbus, Ohio had a bigger population than Boston we started planning imaginary road trips there.

The population of Puerto Rico is 3,916,632. The area of that island is 9,104 sq km.

Ireland has almost the same population but its area is 70,280 sq km.

I know there must be tons of good reasons (potato famine, this etc.) why Ireland has such a WEAK population, but STILL!

If anyone out there is as surprised by this as I am, CAN WE PLEASE TALK ABOUT IT?
Maybe I should try to go here.

There were 1/4 as many people at the NY St. Patrick's Day parade as there are ON THE WHOLE ISLAND OF EIRE (1/6 if you count Northern Ireland).



Anyway, HOW ABOUT SOME GOOD NEWS?

GET READY AND GET PSYCHED FOR SOME INDIAN MANGOS.



All you AMERICA-HATERS better write George W. an apology letter because on his recent trip to INDIA he finagled a SWEET DEAL which is gonna give us DELICIOUS INDIAN MANGOS at our supermarkets. I'm not sure what India got in return. Maybe some uranium hot dogs or something...

This is from a transcript of Bush and Singh's press conference:

PRESIDENT BUSH: And, oh, by the way, Mr. Prime Minister, the United States is looking forward to eating Indian mangos. Part of liberalizing trade is to open up markets. And as a result of your leadership, and our hard work, we are opening up markets.

You know Bush doesn't actually like mangos. He only eats BBQ. He's trying to make peace with all the blue-state food snobs.

Peeps with TIMES SELECT can learn more here.

Also props to Alec for putting out some positive vibes over on prosebeforehos.

25 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you spot the difference between the two photos up top?!?!

Also,
FIRTS WORLD PROBKESM!

Luv,
stevey c.c.

1:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That can't be a real press release -- can it??

BBQ World??

1:33 PM  
Blogger ezrakoenig said...

that link is HI-LARIOUS. do you think he knows the reporter he keeps calling "Stretch"?

"Edward Nigma. E. Nigma. What's an enigma? It's like a riddle. RIDDLER!"
-Batman Forever

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is reminiscint of a Homer and Grimes conversation in the Simpsons:

Homer: [to Grimes, who's walking by] Hiya Stretch, what's the good word?
Grimes: My name is "Grimes," uh, Simpson, Frank Grimes. I took the trouble to learn your name, so the least you could do is learn mine.
Homer: Okay, Grimey.

Also, good work on ribs link, but how can I credit you if you are uncreditable (you are but a fierce imaginary image as the time stands).

Thanks for the 'eProps' by the way. Is this cyclical nature?

-alec

10:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ezra I didn't know you went to PR! did you eat any mofongos? if not why did you go?

be easy.
Joey

12:29 AM  
Blogger ezrakoenig said...

joey, MOFONGOS were a major theme of our trip. i ate a mofongo stuffed with various kinds of seafood one night. it was out of control.

1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good eye u bufued mofongo!

(in da second pic u can clearly see ezra's ballz gettiing some air)

6:29 PM  
Blogger Shashank said...

Hilariously enough this was part of a nuclear deal. But Indian mangoes are definitely worth it. I am not biased in any way.

9:50 PM  
Blogger Bobby. said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

5:10 AM  
Anonymous Wow Gold said...

fantastic blog.

10:20 AM  
Anonymous Wow Gold said...

what a blog ! .

10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember listening to Keith Farnan do a joke (not a very funny one mind you) about the number of people in the US who claim to be Irish. Apparently 55 million Americans claim to be Irish, while Ireland only sent us about 3 million. I think people just like the idea of being stereotypically Irish (drunk, ginger and freckled come to mind...well, maybe just drunk).

Ireland is the shit though, any culture that gives its statues/monuments awesome (and perhaps slightly inappropriate) nicknames is bang on in my book (see The Stiffy at the Liffey).

Do I know that no one reads this? Yes. Do I care? Not particularly.

4:46 PM  
Anonymous sarah j said...

u are lookin rather fly in those shorts may i add

12:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love you?

9:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nitip gan
online 24 jam
solusi kewanitaan
peninggi
obat

10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

maning yo
obat kutil kelamin
obat kutil kemaluan
obat sipilis
obat wasir herbal

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sendit maning yo
obat ambeien
obat eksim
obat eksim
obat kanker

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

punten ah ngiring ngalangkung kang
cara mengobati tanpa operasi
denature indonesia
denature official
epriyanto

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ngiringan komentar kang
obat kutil kemaluan pria
obat kutil kemaluan wanita
obat kutil pada pria
obat kutil pada wanita

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

kudu bisa pejwan
denature
obat wasir
obat kemaluan keluar nanah
epriyanto

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yakin bisa nek semangat
denature
obat wasir
denature
sales ganteng

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ojo nyerah
eko priyanto
eko priyanto
obat kutil kemaluan

10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

jane aku kesel tiap komentar kudu ngiseni capcay terus.. kudu di klik siji2 apa ora mumeti sih..
obat gatal
de nature indonesia
wedang ronde

10:27 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great blog post! I don’t understand how long it will require me to obtain through all of them!
unlimited 4g internet service providers

8:37 AM  
Blogger Stefan Ward said...

The need for more legitimate hacking companies are rising each passing day because of the magnitude of scams being run on the Internet. I know what I went through before I was able to contact Osecybersailing to work on my case after getting scammed multiple times and trying to retrieve back my lost investment funds. After I have invested $670k usd with a fraudulent crypto investment company and i lost everything in the space of one month and got scammed again and again trying to find a solution which wasn't easy to come by given the circumstances that brought about the incident, getting scammed multiple times is never a good experience for anyone involved which was what exactly happened to me when I got scammed investing into crypto currency. Many posing on the Internet as hacking companies aren't really what they are because most of them are scammers waiting for a prey to devour, I got referred to reach out to Osecybersailing through a friend and after I investigated about their legitimacy I came across many of their testimony from their satisfied clients that got their lost investment funds retrieved working with this legitimate and evergreen hacking institute which also changed my story helping me retrieve back my lost investment funds. Many of the testimony really were saying great and worthy things about how the company saved them from financial loss, I decided to hire them after many consideration and they didn't disappoint me by making the choice of choosing them after what I have experienced lately trying to get my funds back from the scammers. They proved they can be trusted with the recovery of lost investment funds which is why I wrote this down for other victims of scam who wishes to ever retrieve back their lost investment funds to let Osecybersailing solve their case, they're worthy and has what it takes to restore back your funds and peace of mind. If you also wish to check your partner Whatsapp conversation to know if he/she is cheating then Osecybersailing is the best team for you.
If you find yourself lost in the depths of lost Bitcoin, facebook and Whatsapp hacking to catch your cheating partner, let Osecybersailing's team guide you towards the light of redemption.
Facebook page: Osecybersailing
Email: osecybersailing@cyberservices.com

4:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home